entmagazine: Preeti Mistry is a chef based in Oakland, CA and...

by - October 08, 2016



entmagazine:

Preeti Mistry is a chef based in Oakland, CA and is featured in Grace Bonney’s newest book #InTheCompanyofWomen: Inspiration and Advice from over 100 Makers, Artists, and Entrepreneurs. Click the link in our bio for more details and to purchase the book.
The following is excerpted from the book.

Q: Where were you when you came up with the idea for your business?
A: I was on a road trip from San Francisco to Palm Springs with my wife. I had quit my executive chef job at Google, and we decided to take a vacation. I had been thinking of focusing on Indian cuisine and had been experimenting at home for a while. We were wine tasting around Paso Robles and the name hit me, @JuhuBeachClub, and then the rest started to fall into place in terms of menu, branding, etc.

Q: Name a woman (or women) whom you admire or look up to.
A: Chef Raji Jallepalli. She was an Indian chef who died when she was only fifty-two years old. She was the first chef combining Indian and European flavors and techniques back in the 1990s. I had her book when I was just starting out in cooking professionally fifteen years ago, and it was a huge inspiration to me.

Q: What does success mean to you?
A: This is a question I have been asking myself a lot lately. I used to think it was just financial freedom of some kind, but honestly, that is just what I was raised to believe. If that was all I wanted, I would have become an investment banker. Many people try to convince me that I am successful, but that makes no sense to me. I have so much more to do; there is so much more I want to contribute to the world. I can’t put my finger on what “success” truly looks like for me, but I’ll let you know when I figure it out. (📷: @designsponge 📝: @sashaisrael) via Instagram http://ift.tt/2dlfoCv



via Tumblr http://mymarketingfile.com/post/151530409233

You May Also Like

0 comments